An elementary school student in Taiwan no longer has any fingerprints after playing with ‘slime’ she made herself. Her parents were concerned after noticing her fingers had swollen to the size of red sausages and took her to a dermatologist.
The dermatologist confirmed her fingerprints had indeed disappeared. The skin specialist also noted inflammation was causing more skin on her hands to peel, and that the wounds on her hands were discharging fluid. The official diagnosis was dermatitis, most likely caused by an allergic reaction to the slime.
It is unknown what ingredients were used to produce this particular homemade slime, but it slime is usually made from glue, a mixture of preservatives, and borax. Generally, polyvinyl alcohol is an active ingredient in the glue. It sometimes causes an allergic reaction when combined with the borax and preservatives.
The girl was prescribed a topical steroid, an antibiotic ointment, and oral antihistamines. She was also advised to use protective gloves if she decides to continue playing with the slime.
It is recommended to use borax-free ingredients when making homemade slime.