Due to a coronavirus eviction loophole in California, a couple who bought a home in cash a year ago haven’t been allowed to move into their new house.
Fox 11 Los Angeles reports that Tracie and Myles Albert paid $560,000 upfront for their four-bedroom dream home in Riverside, California last year, but the former owner has declined to move out.
Local authorities have informed the couple that there is nothing they can do as California’s Governor Gavin Newsom (D) signed an eviction moratorium last year which was recently extended until at least June 2021.
On top of not being able to enter the house they purchased, the couple claims that the owner has neglected the property, which will require even more money to repair whenever they’re finally allowed to move in.
“They have this case under a COVID tenant situation, of no evictions when it doesn’t fall under that at all,” Myles Albert said. “This transaction went through in January 2020 before any of that; it isn’t a renter who was getting thrown out. It’s the guy who collected all of this money.”
Indeed, the money posted to the owner’s account long ago.
But this isn’t an isolated case. Eviction attorney Dennis Block claims he has dealt with “seven, maybe eight similar cases of this exact situation” since the moratorium was enacted.
“It’s genuinely unfathomable to me that we live in a state where something like this is even possible. They closed escrow on this home January 31, 2020,” Chris Taylor, the couple’s real estate agent, said.